1209 Post Road | Fairfield, Connecticut | 06824
We stand behind our reputation and will continue to serve our community with the values instilled by our funeral directors.
LESKO FUNERAL HOME- ESTABLISHED IN 1909
As an immigrant from Hungary, the founder, John S. Lesko, first settled in the old West End of Bridgeport in 1895. Over the years, he would establish himself as an entrepreneur. He was the owner of several businesses, including a livery service, supplying horses, hearses, and hacks to many of the city's funeral directors. With the desire to help the people of his community during a time of loss, and with the help of his two sons Stephen and John, John started the Lesko Funeral Home in 1909. It was first located in a storefront in the center of a Hungarian section of the city commonly referred to as "Hunktown."
Up until this era, funerals were held in the home of the deceased. This would change, as would the demands on the funeral service providers. A new tradition, of using a funeral home to have both the wake and funeral, became the more appropriate manner to serve the many needs of families during these difficult times.
In 1935, the grandson of the founder, John T. Lesko, Sr. would relocate the business to a more suitable building and location, a beautifully restored home of a sea captain. With the addition of his son, John, T. Lesko, Jr., the fourth generation would expand the size of the facility.
During later years, the demographics of the funeral home's neighborhood changed, causing a negative impact on business. The families which had been traditionally served were moving to the suburbs, and the neighborhood was no longer a safe place.
Two great, great grandsons of the founder including Kevin M. Lesko joined the family business. They purchased the business from their father in 1991, and moved it to Fairfield Center in 1992. This would prove to be the right decision, as they would experience a healthy growth in business.
Several new funeral directors joined the firm, including Erika Cueto and William Krzynowek. And in 2003, then co-owner John Lesko retired from the funeral service to pursue other career interests. Kevin spent the next two years preparing his business for change and growth.